Letter of Recommendation — What, How & Samples7 min readReading Time: 5 minutes
A letter of recommendation is asked by employers when they want to check the capability of the job-seeker and see if the information provided by is true or not. The main objective is to know about the applicant’s performance. Read this article to find out what should be the format of writing the letter of recommendation if you are ever asked to write one.
- What to include in the Letter of Recommendation
- How to Write a Letter of Recommendation
- Sample Letter of Recommendation
The question of how to write a letter of recommendation is a crucial one because it is the sole document that shows the relation, experience, and understanding between the writer of the letter and the applicant which governs the decision of the future employer.
You should only accept the request for writing a letter of recommendation for someone if you really know how the candidate is in a work environment. You might have the best insight into the candidate’s character if you have worked together or if you know the candidate so well that you have information about their skills which you can elaborate on.
The first and foremost thing to keep in mind while knowing about how to write a letter of recommendation is to know if you can honestly write positive feedback about the candidate who has asked you to write a recommendation. If in any case, you feel like you have to force yourself while writing about the person, always decline their request in the first place itself. Because if you cannot provide a positive and quality recommendation about the person, they might lose their opportunity of getting a job.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN THE LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION:
Before you know the exact format of the letter Of recommendation, you should be aware of all that should be a must while you write the letter.
- Give a brief introduction about yourself, stating what your relation or connection is with the applicant and the duration of since when you know them.
- Include your professional experience in your introduction so that the recruiter or employer is assured of the authenticity of your words in favor of the candidate.
- A positive and honest overview of the skills and strengths of the applicant, just as you, being the writer of the letter have experienced them. But make sure that you write down a descriptive, yet brief story.
- A narrative in your own words about the positive and unique attributes that are a part of the applicant’s character.
- State the accomplishments and contributions that you feel are worthy of being mentioned in such an important document.
- The most important part of the letter of recommendation is the part wherein the writer of the letter describes the qualities that the applicant possesses and states his reason as to why he thinks that the applicant is a suitable contender and should be recommended for the job post that he is applying for.
HOW TO WRITE A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
- The first thing that you need to do before you start writing the letter of recommendation is to gather information about the applicant for whom you are going to write the letter.
- Ask them for their resume and read it thoroughly.
- Go through all the details of the job posting to which they are applying so that you can make sure if they are eligible for the post or not.
- Have a view of their cover letter so that you can have an idea about how the applicant’s qualifications and work experience match with the job description.
- Get information about the most important assets of the applicant that would complement the type of work they are wanting to step into.
2. The next step of how to write a letter of recommendation is, to begin with, the introduction wherein you should state about your relationship with the applicant, i.e., how you know them personally. You need to be precise about the nature of the relationship between you two so that the reader is clear about it.
3. After you are done with the introduction, the next and the most important part is to write the main body of the letter of recommendation. It is important because that is where you state all the main pointers about the applicant which play a very crucial part in the decision-making of the hiring manager.
- Include all the skills and qualities that you feel are exceptional and noteworthy about the applicant.
- Specify their area of knowledge and validate the same in your own words.
- The most reasonable and effective way of giving substance to your words is to talk about instances when you yourself had the chance to see the applicant implementing the skills they have mentioned in their resume.
- You may also cite examples of all the times where the applicant must have done something that would have added value to the organization where they were working prior to applying for a new job.
4. An appropriate way of ending your letter of recommendation would be to write about your belief in the strengths and skills, along with the person’s ability to work. You should always share your contact information at the end of the letter so that the hiring manager can get in touch with you if he or she has any follow-up questions.
SAMPLE LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
17/111, Vasant Vihar
F Block, Phase II
Dear Mr. Manuel,
I am writing this letter of recommendation to you regarding Shweta Dey, who is applying to your esteemed company for the position of Data Analyst.
I am Vani Gupta, the Marketing Director at XYZ Company in Manipal. I have been working with the company for the last 10 years. In the duration of ten years, a lot of employees have worked as a part of my team. A lot of them have joined and left the company in 10 years, but I am writing to describe to you how Ms. Dey was an exceptional employee who made a mark in our team with her immense dedication towards her work.
Shweta stood out from all the other additions to our company. During our time together, Shweta exhibited her exceptional trait of being both analytical and abstract at the same time. Her vast knowledge of business and thorough understanding of the company’s working has helped the company a number of times in identifying any threat in advance, that is to come in the way of the functioning of the company. She has the skill of remarkably converting raw ideas into spectacular traits for the business.
And it is not just her analytical skills that would impress someone, she has much more to her. With exceptional communication skills and a positive attitude, Shweta is a joy to work with. She has an amazing and positive way of looking at all the obstacles that come in the way of work and she can handle all the deadlines very smoothly. No matter how difficult the situation is, she always has the can-do attitude that she carries along with her.
I believe in the capabilities of Shweta. If given a chance, I would not be hesitant in hiring her again for our company. I am confident that she will bring in all the skills and qualities that you are looking for in the candidate for the job opening in your company.
If you wish to have any further conversation with me, feel free to contact me at 765xxxxxxx. I can understand that the letter of recommendation will only provide you a glimpse of all that Shweta is capable of. I would be obliged to explain to you further about my experience working with her.