Leave Application Format, Samples, Dos & Don’ts6 min readReading Time: 4 minutes
There are instances when you have an emergency and need to excuse yourself from your workplace. In such cases, you need to put a request for leave from your work. Writing a leave application has some rules that need to be followed before it can be sent officially, therefore a leave application format needs to be followed while you are asking for a leave.
It is always important that you draft your leave request formally, and make your leave application in office easy to understand for your manager and your HR.
A leave letter is the shortest kind of letter, but it is an official one. Therefore, there are a lot of details that you need to keep in mind before sending in your leave application. Here are a few suggestions and samples that will help you know how to write a leave application so that there are no chances of miscommunication.
Before we go into the details of a leave application format, let us look at a few samples for the same.
Here Are A Few Leave Application Samples:
22/145, Kalyanji Nagar, Bangalore,
Contact: +91 987xxxxxxx
E‑mail: [email protected]
Subject: Request for Leave
I would like to inform you that I have been diagnosed with typhoid and the doctor has advised me to complete bed rest for 2 weeks. The reason that I am writing this letter to you to inform you that I would require leaves from the 15th of July until the 30th of July for the same reason.
As a result, I am hereby attaching a medical report given and approved by my doctor in order to confirm that I would need some time off from the office, to completely recover without risking anyone’s health, neither mine nor the health of my co-workers.
Please let me know if any further reports are required or needed, or if some kind of verification from my doctor is wanted. You can reach me at any time, in case any discussion in terms of work needs to be done.
If my health condition will require any additional time off, I will let you know of it as soon as possible.
Please feel free to contact me on my number +91 987xxxxxxx should you have any questions or clarifications regarding my sick leave request, or as stated earlier, regarding work.
Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
E‑128, Jawahar Quarters, Delhi
Contact: +91 765xxxxxxx
E‑mail: [email protected]
Subject: Request for Leave
I am writing this letter to officially notify you in advance about my annual leaves of fifteen days according to the company policy. Since I have worked without taking any leave for the past seven months, I would like to yield all of the leaves that I am entitled to, w.e.f. 01st of August 2018 to 15th of August 2018.
The reason that I want these leaves urgently is that my father is undergoing bypass surgery during that time period, and I wish to be with him during the operation and also post the operation so that I can take care of him. The doctor has advised him complete rest for one-month post-surgery, hence for the first fifteen days, I wish to be with him.
In conclusion, I assure you that I shall complete as much work as possible before leaving. In case a problem arises, I assure you that our team member Mike will be handling the issue and promises to finish the given task before the deadline.
I will resume work from the 16th of August 2018. However, if any urgent work arises, you can contact me on 765xxxxxxx or mail on the company email address. I will get back to you at the earliest possible.
Requesting For Leaves
To ask for leave, the first thing that the employee should do is obtain permission. The permission is to be taken from the reporting manager/Human Resource (HR) of the respective organization.
Before writing an official leave application in the office, you should send an e‑mail to your supervisor and arrange for a meeting wherein you can state the reason for the absence from the office.
A Formal Format
The leave application that you have to send to your direct supervisor or your company’s HR should always be drafted in a formal format so that you can make the employer aware of your absence officially, which means that the leave application format is always a formal one.
Contents Of A Leave Application
- Your complete name, address, contact information and employee code.
- The reason for your absence from work.
- Official documents, if required and asked for, in support of your reason for absence.
- The actions and plans that you have planned, to ensure smooth functioning of work even in your absence.
- Dates of your departure for the leaves.
- Dates of returning back to work premises.
- A polite request to your reporting manager/HR to help you through the process of applying for the leave.
Writing A Leave Application
- An employee’s leave application should be drafted in a formal way, making the leave application format a formal one, wherein the reason for the leave is described in a very concise manner.
- The language of the letter should always be a polite and convincing language.
- Assure your reporting manager that you will be back in the office after the end of the permitted leave duration.
- State to the manager that you will make up for all the lost work time.
- Thank the manager for sparing their time for reading your leave application and for approving your leave.
What To Avoid In The Application
- Avoid grammar mistakes and punctuation errors while writing the application for leave.
- Do not write your application in a casual tone.
- Avoid using complex terms and keep the application as simple as possible.
- The leave application format should be easy to understand and to the point.
Step By Step Drafting Of Leave Application
- It is advisable to take verbal permission from the reporting manager and then submit the official leave application.
- Keep your tone polite and thankful all through the letter.
- Write the contents of the leave application in a formal tone.
- Accordingly, your language, for the most part, should consist of words such that it shows that you are requesting leave.
- Always check for grammatical errors, spellings mistakes or typing errors before sending in your leave application, since the leave application format is supposed to be an official email.
- In a typical leave application format, you should always include a thank-you note before ending your application.