IAS Officer Salary, Perks and Responsibilities | Quick Read3 min readReading Time: 2 minutes
The Indian Administrative Service is the arm of Indian Civil Services. The Indian Civil Services will be difficult to function if the Indian Administrative Service is absent. Therefore, there is prominent presence of IAS in the governance. An IAS officer salary is rewarding, just like the service.
An IAS officer assists the ruling government in framing the policies and administration. Thereafter, they assess the effect of the implementation of policies and give feedback and suggestions to the government. There is a whole lot of responsibilities and power that entails under the rank of an IAS Officer.
The Levels Of An IAS Officer:
- An IAS officer joins the administration of the state at a sub-divisional level. His/Her duty is to look after the general administration of the area assigned. The law and order also needs to be taken in control by the sub-divisional magistrate.
- Secondly, at the district level, as a district commissioner, district magistrate or district collector, IAS officers need to handle the affairs of the district.
- There are various other levels to serve under. Deputy secretary and joint secretary are some of the other few.
- IAS officers can also be appointed as State Secretariats.
An IAS Officer is entitled to various responsibilities. They depend on the position and experience.
- Planning policies with the concerned minister of the government and henceforth, implementing the policies under supervision.
- Being answerable to the parliament and state legislatures in case of violation of any rules.
- Travelling abroad on various missions by the government.
- Assigned to supervise and work under a department which falls directly under the central government.
- A major part of the responsibilities involves being in-charge of administration of either a district, a state, or a department.
- Private organizations also appoint IAS Officers. But, that is only for short tenures.
- IAS officers get functional roles in various types of assignments. The three most significant assignments come under the category of either field, state secretariat, or central secretariat.
IAS Officer Salary:
The most important thing to note is that you should never make the decision of joining civil services due to the salary package. Even if you find them to be lucrative. The urge is to understand the importance and power that you are entitled to as an IAS Officer. It is the roles and responsibilities and not the salary and perks that should inspire you to become an IAS Officer.
The rank of an IAS Officer is not merely a profession. It is much more than just a normal career path. An IAS Officer contributes in nation-building. Therefore, under the 6th Pay Commission, the salary of an IAS Officer increased drastically. It further increased with the release of the 7th Pay Commission in 2016. The salary of each IAS Officer depends on the post that they are assigned to. Almost all IAS Officers start at the sub-divisional level, wherein the salary is approximately INR 56,100 and can goes up to INR 1,50,000. In general, an IAS Officer’s salary falls under the bracket of INR 56,100 to INR 2,50,000, depending on the post.
Apart from the basic pay, the officer’s also get additional allowances like House Rent or covered Travel Expenditure. The allowances also include subsidized electricity and water, and household staff.